Sunday, November 28, 2010

Sales Don't Know Your Lensrank

This is just a quick post today as I was looking at my dashboard and thought I would share some thoughts with you. Hopefully everyone is seeing lots of earnings on their dashboard as we hurtle towards Christmas.

It seems that every few months there's a discussion about improving lensrank and I always think to myself it doesn't matter if you optimise your lens you can make sales with any lensrank. Of course the ironic thing is that when you do make a sale this increases your lensrank!!

I have stated publically before with lensranks of lenses that still show income, but I thought I would bring it up again in case anyone was worrying about it. As of today these are my lensranks of over 100,000 that have sales on them -

lensrank 109,571 pending $2.71
lensrank 115,779 pending $2.20
lensrank 283,207 pending $1.12
lensrank 113,107 pending $0.86
lensrank 183,445 pending $0.71
lensrank 168,097 pending $0.54
lensrank 201,069 pending $0.29

So my little bit of advice today is to stop spending time stressing on lensrank or trying to do things that may improve it and concentrate on building backlinks, promotion and making sure that your lens is loved by google, rather than fellow lensmasters who won't be buying from you anyway. It's always nice to get both lensrank and sales, but there is only a limited amount of spaces in the tiers so if you're after an income you need to focus on increasing sales instead.

The trick with these lenses is that they rank on the first page of google for their keywords, except for one of them and that one gets all of it's traffic from a higher ranking lens that is on the front page of google and also has a lot of organic backlinks. The people who click through to this particular lens do not click to look at it, they click to buy!

2 comments:

  1. Bravo! Nice to see someone state it. My partner is hung up on lensrank (true he is at No. 35 in Cars and Trucks and I've never been anywhere close) but sales is also important to him. I think the Monsters and points have added a nice little bit of competition with oneslef, but it also can add stress to some people, especially when they see someone at level 45 with 25 lenses and they are at level 45 but had to make 100 lenses to get there. In order for the money attributed to lensrank to be of any consequence you need to be in Tier One and that is darn hard, especially when you consider the total number of lenses made today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great information and really good advice. I try not to worry too much about lensrank, but I still check it everyday.

    ReplyDelete