Monday, March 7, 2011

Let's Talk Niche

Why am I not making any sales?   How often do we hear this question, there are often several different answers, but one common one is that your lens is too broad in scope.   In my experience my biggest amount of sales have come from having very niche lenses.

How niche should your lenses be?   As niche as you can get!

For a Rocketmom's assignment last year I wrote a lens on The Best Purple Computer Mouse, now I look at this lens and I can see a lot of room for improvement in the introduction, but it makes sales - why?   It's about one thing.

I do have some other computer mouses at the bottom of the lens, but they're all purple so they still all count as purple computer mouses/mice (I still don't have an answer to that question!).   When the side bar Amazon modules were introduced I added other purple computer accessories because I didn't feel it would 'dilute' the lens too much.

Now I don't get a lot of traffic, but the traffic I get is very targeted, let's face it if you search for 'computer mouse' you may be after reviews, but if you're searching for 'purple computer mouse' you are usually looking to buy.  

This all means that the amount of traffic that converts to sales is a lot more targeted.

Talking niche is often the opposite of talking keyword research.   When you do keyword research you're often told to look for something that has at least 5,000 monthly searches with low competition etc.   When it comes to niche I will often look at keywords that only have 100 or so monthly visits if the competition is low that is.   Why?  Because if I can get just 10 visitors a week to a targeted lens that converts 4% of visitors then I consider that to be good use of my time.

I'll talk about assessing competition for keyword phrases in my next post and let you know what I do when researching.

2 comments:

  1. I think one of the hardest things to do when looking at niche rather than wider scope is to resist the temptation and belief that if you put a bunch of products on a lens, then you stand a better chance of having clickouts, and yet as you have so rightly pointed out, with a super niche topic traffic is more likely to consist of people with credit cards in hand, and then it is only a matter of whether your lens has what they are looking for. Something to remember also, is that although we do our best to feature all the worthy products in that niche, we still may not have exactly what a customer is looking for. I look forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very hard, but it's well worth the effort. You are right in that we may not have the exact product they're after, but if we provide enough info on the product we're showcasing then they may click through to see how it compares with others and we could get the commission for what they end up buying - our recommendation or something completely different!

    ReplyDelete