Because I’ve got a lot of lenses and I’m planning on doing quite a few I’m going to take advantage of labels right now. Labels are something that is applicable to giants and when you have a lot of lenses they really help you to keep things under control so to speak. I didn’t use my labels much initially, but after getting to 200 lenses it was the quickest way to find certain ones when I wanted to!
Now I’m motoring through this pretty fast, but don’t feel that you have to produce lots of lenses over a short time, the beauty of this is that when you do get another lens to link together then you can add it as a featured lens – hit publish and then ping it so that Google knows there’s fresh content. This means that it doesn’t matter if you make the next lens on the same day, the following day, a week or even a month later.
What’s pinging? Apologies if I started talking in a foreign language, pinging is a way of letting search engines know that there has been some changes to your lens. The easiest way to ping your lens is by using Squidutils, enter your lensmaster name and then select ping and use the drop down menu to send out your pings. Squidutils can also be used to track backlinks, but that’s for another day :)
Obviously now that I’ve produced another lens I need to submit it to the same sites as before, but I want to tell you a bit about this lens. I used the Squidwho format for this one. The Squidwho pre-populates the lens with a number of things, now to be honest I’m not sure this is always a good thing. Most of the Squidwhos I’ve done in the past have involved me deleting every module included and basically putting all of my own content in it anyway :)
In my Barney Stinson lens I’ve kept the Youtube videos, the yahoo news and twitter updates, but I’ve rearranged them a bit. I left the poll module in, but changed the question and answers. I also left the Amazon module in, but changed it to products that I picked myself, in this case the series How I Met Your Mother (another way of keeping those keywords on the page). I took out the Wikipedia module, but used the same title in a text module.